Monday, July 8, 2013

Winchester, MD

On Tuesday, Karl and Rufus flew back home and the kids and I visited Mt. Vernon, George Washington's home on the Potomac River.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a single picture of Mt. Vernon, so here's one from the internet.




















After Mt. Vernon, we headed north to Winchester, Virginia.  I'm reading the Civil War diary of a woman who lived in Winchester, Cornelia Peake McDonald.


Winchester had a tough time of it during the Civil War.  The town changed hands no fewer than 72 times, including 13 times in a single day!


The courthouse, where prisoners from both sides were held.


This soldier left his mark on the walls.



This is the biggest cannonball I've ever seen!  I set my cell phone down next to it to show the size.


A curse on Confederate President Jefferson Davis.



No comments:

Post a Comment