Saturday, August 3, 2013

You Gotta Have Water to Float

I've been wanting for a long time now to write about running, mostly as a record for myself, and because writing always helps me organize my ideas.  I started running last fall, about November.  I had been walking a lot, but wasn't really getting anywhere.  I mean, I was walking and walking, for as much time as I had available, but still wanted more exercise.  So I thought I'd run a little.  Just a little.

It was kind of fun, and one day I thought I'd see how far I could run without keeling over.  While the kids were at soccer, I ran around the track ten times.  That's 2 1/2 miles, and I was awfully pleased with myself...until I mentioned it to a friend, and found out she'd been running 3 miles.  Okay, fine, I thought, my competitive juices rising.  I can do that.  So I did.

Then I tried the "Zombies, Run!" ap with Hailey and my young friends Hannah and Morgan, (see my post 12/21/12), and delightedly outran most of the teens.  It's incredibly motivating to outrun people less than half my age!

Since then I've added to my distance.  Yesterday I ran 12 miles.  Yup, 12 miles.  In the rain, I might add.  Then I ate most of a cheeseburger and fries and crashed on the couch for the rest of the day.

I'm going to run a half marathon in October. Now I'm committed, because I've said it out loud.  Well, I've written it out loud.  I've also been meaning to write down for a long time some things I've figured out since I started running.

1.  Pavlov's Dog:  Do you know about Pavlov's Dog?   A scientist called Pavlov noticed that lab dogs (that's laboratory, not labrador!) salivated at the sight of research assistants' white lab coats, because the dogs had been conditioned to expect food when they saw the coats.  Pavlov then came up with his Classical Conditioning Theory, which in essence states that people can be conditioned to exhibit certain responses when exposed to certain stimuli.

Ivan Pavlov     

What does this have to do with my running?  Well, every time I run, I listen to music on my MP3 player.  Now, like Pavlov's famous dog, I've become conditioned to want to run every time I hear certain songs.  If I don't feel much like running, I just start playing the music, and that splendid classical conditioning kicks in and I'm off.  Pretty cool, huh?  Just think of the possible applications of this!

Here's one of my running songs.  Doesn't this just make you want to kick up your heels and run?  Click it.  Then I double-dog dare you not to get up and dance!


2.  My favorite bug juice:  After I came home from a run feeling sick one day, Karl suggested I try something more than water for a longer run.  In fact, he pointed me fairly, um, pointedly to the grocery store to get a sports drink.  I bought a bunch and taste-tested them all.  The winner?  Powerade, especially the Sour Melon flavor.  It's the only brand that has a mouth-watering tang, though to be honest, they all taste pretty gross until you put a few miles in.  Then suddenly they are nectar from heaven.  Go figure.















3.  Second time's a charm:  I've noticed that each time I add a mile to my distance, the first time stinks, but the second time I run that distance is a breeze.  Yesterday's 12 miler was a first, total exhaustion, so I'm looking for the next long run to be awesome!

4.  Hills help:  I used to find running even a few steps uphill almost impossible, but practicing really makes a difference.  Never thought that would happen.

5.  Bigfoot:  I read somewhere that it helps to buy running shoes a size larger than you normally wear, so I did.  I don't have especially dainty feet to begin with, and adding half a size made me feel decidedly clownish, but it was sound advice.  Even with larger shoes, my toes get kind of calloused.  Kinda weird, though not painful.

6.   Other clothing: Polyester in winter; cotton in summer.  I nearly froze in winter running around in cold, wet cotton, so I bought a couple of running shirts that are supposed to wick moisture away from your body.  They kind of work, but they just feel icky in summer, so I'm back to cotton for now.

7.  Running is fattening:  Crazy, I know.  I burned well over 1,200 extra calories yesterday.  But I've been hungry for two days!  Normally a burger and fries would put me under the table for the rest of the day, but yesterday I ate a big dinner and then two slices of bread and butter.   And I've been hungry all day today as well.  So I'm afraid I'm somehow going to gain weight while burning calories like crazy.

8.  Corset time:  The first mile or so of a run feels a bit like the first ten minutes in a corset.  "I can't breathe and what the heck was I thinking?"  But then, miraculously, it becomes fun.

9.  You gotta have water to float:  Somehow, after corset time is over, a sort of floating feeling sets in, kind of an automatic pilot where you could go for miles.  It's easy - no heavy breathing, no hard effort, just coasting along.  But you gotta have water to float.  I've found I can run with quite a lot of water in me, but without it, I sink like a rock.  Must remember to hydrate!  And stretch.  I never stretch enough.

Alright, that's all for now.  Run along!

1 comment:

  1. I love it. I would love to follow you on this running adventure of yours. At this point just walking a couple of miles is an effort ... You go girl!!! I'm proud of you. :-D

    ReplyDelete