Thursday, August 29, 2013

Perseverance

I was going to tell you that the British pronounce "perseverance" per-SEV-rance.  Only it turns out they don't.  I thought they did, and I'm not sure where I might have heard that, but I think it would be cute if they said it that way.

Long-distance running is a good lesson in perSEVrance, because you never get to the good part if you don't stick with it.  For me, running only really gets fun at a longer distance.  I posted earlier about how the first mile or so of a run is always what I call "corset time," where I can't breathe and I wonder why on earth I would take to my heels with no one chasing me.  So if you're only running 3 miles at a time, you're only just beginning to enjoy yourself when the run is over.

If you keep going though, you get that lovely sense of floating where you feel like you could cruise along for miles without stopping.  And that feeling makes the whole sweaty business worthwhile.  Well, that and the guilt-free milkshakes.

But there's more to be learned about perseverance from running.  I have found that a run can change tremendously from mile to mile.  What feels awful at one point can suddenly become the greatest run you've ever taken.  Sometimes I'll be slogging along, maybe a little bored, my legs feeling kind of heavy, and then a great song will come on, or a lovely view will appear, or I'll hit a downhill stretch, and just like that, everything changes and I'll find myself charging down the trail, feeling strong and happy and full of life.  That moment is so worth hanging in there for!

Life works that way too, doesn't it?  Sometimes the smallest thing, like a thoughtless comment, a cloudy sky, or a change of plans can affect your whole outlook, and I don't know about you, but that can make me view my whole life differently until I'm in a downward spiral of negativity for no real reason.  But that floating feeling is always just around the next corner.

I get a great sense of accomplishment from running.  It's hard!  But hard is good.  My girls read a book a few years ago that I really liked, called Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations, by Alex and Brett Harris.  The book suggests that the teenage years shouldn't be a final blowout of childhood immaturity (think Miley Cyrus), but instead can be a time of challenge and growth, and preparation for a really great adult life.  "Do Hard Things" is a great motto, but not just for teens!  I love the idea of doing hard things and challenging myself, even if it means returning home filthy, sweat-soaked and starving.  Or diving into a pit of icy mud.



No comments:

Post a Comment