Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Washing Day

Today was supposed to be ironing day, but instead I taught the first meeting of my middle school English class.  With twelve kids, the candle-lit diningroom was packed, but they are a great group, and I think the day went well.  Some of the kids, knowing of our 1800s house, came in costume.  Regular life goes on, in spite of the project.  I think teaching an English class is totally period-correct, except that I'm married.  Did you know that female schoolteachers in the 1800s were not allowed to be married, (or even courting, which I imagine required them to either be very surreptitious or resign themselves to permanent spinsterhood!)

Yesterday, Monday, was Washing Day.  Knowing we could never handle the job alone, some friends offered to come help.  We had already done some laundry last week, but judging from how our more experienced friends handled it, I think I probably over-worked the clothes.  Left to me, they'll all have holes in them in no time! 

We borrowed two washboards, which we quickly nicknamed "regular" and "gentle cycle."  I didn't realize that washboards came in different roughnesses.  I also never knew they could be made of glass.  Check out this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coronita/2513964471/

I don't know how our foremothers did it.  We got only half the laundry done, with help.  (And since half of what the kids are wearing is modern clothing, I think it's only fair to wash that in the machine.)  Haven't even tried to tackle sheets yet.  Sheets!  How are they ever going to fit in the washtub?!

Thank God for friends!




And for hardworking children:


This is Claire's zouave look, but at least she's wearing a skirt (and without complaining!)




Off to bath and bed.  Zzzzzz.

Autumn



No comments:

Post a Comment