Saturday, September 8, 2012

It's More Fun When Your Friends Play Too

I'm living this weird blend of 19th and 21st century life.  I'm trying desperately to stay in the 19th century, but I still have to get in my car every day to drive kids to various activities, and I can't get away from the computer, though I really want to try...soon.  I begin teaching an English class next week, and I really need to finish preparing some papers for it.

So I'm driving around town, looking and feeling ridiculous.  My kids refuse to dress up outside the house.  Karl is excused for work, so even at home, I'm sometimes the only one playing this game, and sometimes I feel like a really peculiar grown woman playing dress-up.  Okay, I actually am a really peculiar grown woman playing dress-up, but at least if the kids are playing along I can say it's for educational purposes.

I miss my Civil War friends.  They play the same game.  In fact, at a Civil War re-enactment, it feels a little odd to be dressed in modern clothes.  Or it should, anyway.  If you're reading this, please dress up, come visit, and make me feel normal!

On another note, here are some random pictures of our 1800s house:




 


2 comments:

  1. Where can one find 19th century clothes? I'm no seamstress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine from ebay, one new (I think a little over $100), one used (about $70.) If you really want to get an outfit, do a little research about what kinds of styles and fabrics are period-correct, then wait patiently on ebay for something good to show up at a reasonable price.

      Delete